I don't know about you, but last year I was kind of annoyed by all the facebook posts and pictures of people's tiny little elves on shelves (and in trees, in pantries, toy boxes, bathrooms and all other places they might have been causing mischief). While it seemed like a cute tradition, it also seemed to have become the "in" thing to do.
Having said that.....we decided to "keep up with the Jones'" this year. Yep, I gave in. To be honest it's Boogie's 'terrible twos' that pushed me over the edge. I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, this little (creepy looking) elf will help keep him in check....at least for a few short weeks.
In case you've been living under a rock and haven't heard the tale of the "Elf on a Shelf" here's a short summary:
- Santa sends said elf to your house
- Your first task is to name your elf
- Said elf "watches" during the day, keeping notes on your behavior
- During the night, said elf flies back to the North Pole to report to Santa the happenings of the day
- Said elf returns by morning in a different place than she was the day before
- Each morning you have to look and find said elf
- You cannot touch the elf as this will cause her to loose her magical powers and she won't be able to get back to Santa to tell him how well you have been behaving (ie: no presents for you). [note that I referred to the elf as "she." Our elf is a girl, but some elves are boys...]
So, without further ado...I would like to introduce you to our elf, Waffles [name chosen by Boogie]:
She arrived at our house yesterday. Unfortunately, there was no magical change in Boogie's behavior (darn!), but he does like to run around in front of her yelling "Hi Waffles!" and "look! Waffles is watching me!" So, I guess he kinda gets it...
Onto the 25 Days...
Day 1: [two activities today!] Put up the Christmas Tree & Go to the Holiday Luminary Walk
Since meeting Waffles, reading her story and naming her took up most of our morning, we were only able to get the tree up, but had to wait until after the kiddos went to bed to get lights and decorations on it. Boogie had a lot of fun taking out the branches and spreading them out.
Boogie is very obsessed with Christmas lights this year. Anytime we pass by a house lit up with lights he yells "Look! Christmas!" So, our second activity of the day was, in Boogie's words "Amazing" and "this is awesome!" I agree. the Luminary Walk at the OP Arboretum is pretty awesome! The weather was MUCH better than last year; no freezing rain this time! Boogie and Sissy giggled and squealed with delight through the whole thing!
Today, we awoke to find Waffles in the Christmas Tree...
Speaking of Christmas tree.....here she is...
Day Two: Color Christmas pictures
last year. Everyone actually sat still and colored; at least for a few minutes. I think J was trying to make up for his poor performance last year. He spent about an hour and a half coloring his picture (the one with the presents). Here are our masterpieces hanging in our new art display frame!