Friday, February 24, 2012

Love continued...

I'll continue on the Love theme and share our little Valentine's day treat...Red Velvet Cookie Sandwiches!!


I originally found the idea here. As usual, I changed it up and simplified a little bit!! Here's the recipe for my version:

Ingredients:
1 Box Red Velvet Cake Mix
1 stick butter (or equivalent in margarine)
1 egg
1 Tub Cream Cheese Icing

Steps:
1. Combine cake mix, butter and egg. Mix until smooth.
2. On parchment paper trace out heart shapes.  I used a small heart cookie cutter as a stencil
3. Transfer batter into piping bag (if you actually own one!).  I just used a gallon size ziploc bag.  [Here's a great tip I found somewhere:  Put one corner of the bag down into a large mug, fold the bag around the mug.  This will allow you to use two hands to transfer the batter into the bag.  Then snip the corner of the bag so you have a small hole.]
4. Pipe the batter, tracing your heart shapes.
5. Bake at 375 for about 9 minutes.  Allow cookies to cool completely.
6. Open your tub of icing and stir to make it fluffy.  Spread it on the bottom side of one cookie, top with another cookie to make your sandwich!

You could re-create this recipe with sugar cookie dough and any food coloring/holiday shape!!

No comments:

Post a Comment