Wednesday, July 20, 2011

ogtt...

Today was the big day I got to chug the nasty drink, wait an hour and get my blood drawn....yes, the wonderful Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (ogtt!)!! 


Unfortunately, I am intimately familiar with this test. Yes, because this the the second time I've completed it for pregnancy in the last 1.5 years. BUT, more because of: Grad School, Advance Exercise Physiology Lab, Fall 2005.....

Both times I've completed this assessment for pregnancy I've had horrible flash backs of that wonderful class. We did the 3 hour version of the OGTT; chug an even bigger, nasty, sugar drink and take 4 blood draws in 3 hours time.  Maybe that doesn't sound too bad...but, I didn't yet mention that WE performed the blood draws. Yes, us terrified, first semester, inexperienced, grad students poking and prodding each other with everyone watching trying desperately to find a vein! Worst.Experience.Ever.......I say worst ever because I was lucky enough to have a note from my cardiologist excusing me from participating in the VO2max testing in the environmental chamber while measuring core temperature (if you don't know what that means, trust me, you never want to find out....). It was definitely hell to go through, but ended up being quite the bonding experience!

So, although I complain about the nasty, sugar drink I have to chug around week 26 of each pregnancy...in comparison...it's not so bad!! Now it's just a waiting game to find out if I passed....if not, then it's on to the 3 hour test...at least this time I'll have a professional phlebotomist drawing my blood!

Oh, and little pumpkin is measuring right on target and had a HR of 150 :)

Edit: Got a call from the OB office just minutes after posting.  I passed my 1 hour!! (woohoo!!) But, my hemoglobin is low (gee, does that sound familiar??) so, more iron and vitamin C BUT I don't have to give up my McFlurries!!

No comments:

Post a Comment