Wednesday, March 7, 2012

N is for...

Nappies :)


For those of you not down with the British lingo that means diapers! Yes, call me hippie, call me tree hugger....the HH has made the switch to cloth!

There are so many reasons why people choose to switch to cloth diapers; environment, health, economics, cuteness factor....I'm definitely not one of those crazy "crunchy" types with a picket sign demanding the world switch to cloth. Just like all other parenting styles; to each their own. When we first found out we were pregnant with Boogie, the thought of cloth crossed my mind.  At that point it was economic factors, if done right you can save hundreds of dollars buy using cloth instead of disposable.

I brought the idea up to J and he just looked at me like I was crazy.  I agreed.  I was already overwhelmed with the thought of becoming a mommy, that this was just one more thing I didn't want to have to learn. Cloth diapers have come a LONG way since the days of cloth rags and pins. There's covers and prefolds and AIO and AI2 and pockets and fitteds and liners and boosters and wet bags and etc and etc.  Holy cow! It's a foreign language and a whole new way of life. 

Once we added C-Monk to the mix, I started getting nauseous every time we had to empty two full diaper cans of stinky poop! Yuck! I really started to realize how disgusting it was to be tossing all those diapers into the trash.  I started picturing these mountains and mountains of poop....

Now that I have this mommy thing down (bah! haha!), I figured I could finally try to tackle the world of cloth. I started researching and learning and asking a million questions. Armed with a lot of knowledge, I approached J with the idea, again.  He still looked at me like I was crazy, but this time he said "you're the diaper expert, you make the call."  So, we bit the bullet and started stocking up!

I'll admit that initial cost was heart stopping.  All I could think was "and this is SAVING us money??!" But, when I got our first fluff mail and I put those chunky little diapers on my C-Monk I fell.in.love! I mean come on, is there anything cuter than a fluffy little baby butt?!!



Now I'm addicted.  I drank the cloth diaper Kool-Aid. Even though we've got our stash, I still find myself stalking the internet looking for deals and cute fluff.  That's my only regret.  I went with the deals and just got basic solid colors.  Now I'm finding all these cute patterns and styles....yea, J would take away my credit card and put me out with the trash if I bought anymore :)

I'm definitely no expert, I still have to ask a million questions all the time. But, if you're considering switching I'd be happy to help.  I've learned sooo much over the last month or so.  Two great companies that have helped me along the way are Cotton Babies and SweetBottoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment